Friday, October 9, 2009

Secret Society by Tom Dolby + Contest!

Published September 29th, 2009.

Do you ever wonder how some people have it all? The best schools, the hottest parties, the priciest clothes, the easiest jobs? Maybe it's not because they work hard or get a lucky break every once in a while. Maybe it's because they're part of a secret group. A secret society. (book back blurb)

Gee. Yet another book about rich prep school kids getting everything handed to them. How original.

It's Skull and Bones, peanut version but with some estrogen. The whole Egyptian involvement is completely contrived and never really explained. I understand we're hopping around behind the eyes of the noobs to the group but as far as I'm concerned, these guys thought the Egyptians were cool and decided to use their logos for their club. By the end of the book, they could have been pirates for all it mattered to the overall plot.

And noob tattoo dude mistake numero uno - the neck is one of the most conspicuous spots to put a tattoo. No matter how small it is, unless it's a little black dot, it's going to get noticed. No more bobs for those girls! For a secret society, they sure flaunt their marker, don't they?

As far as the writing goes, I didn't feel it was quite there yet. It was . . . mediocre. In the hands of someone with more experience or greater talent, I think it could have done better but instead we get a Swiss cheese plot that meanders in all the wrong places, is thoroughly short on suspense and elementarily written. The characters are one dimensional, narrow-minded and as woe-is-me as you'd expect them to be in their current situations.

What little information we are given of this half-assed society is awkwardly dumped in some of the most chunky and ridiculously-sounding sentences I've ever read. The fact that the invitation is only handed out to prep school kids in their junior year is laughable. Want to narrow it down anymore? People with only blue eyes? One leg slightly shorter than the other? Literally, I laughed when that information was dumped because, considering the context and the way it was said, it was just absurd.

Maybe this is something that's just showing my age but the casualness of underage drinking in this book really shocked me, not to mention the lack of consequences for these over-privileged kids. It's parentfail if I've ever seen it because if I had ever come home drunk and hours past curfew, my grounded ass would never see the light of day again. These kids are actually encouraged to act like shitheads. Again, parentfail. I'm all for lowering the drinking age to 18 because if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to have a drink (because that beer is so more more to handle than those assault rifles and justifiable homicide) but the extreme casualness of it all, how out in the open it was, just really bothered me. We had to be super sneaky when we drank. These kids just did it out in the open with absolutely no consequences. How nice.

The whole secret society concept is unoriginal. The writing needs to be improved. To me, the characters were unrelatable. Because of the poor writing, it lacked the suspense required of these kids' situations. Maybe if it was there, maybe if I was able to feel their fear at what was going on, I might have been able to connect to them. But nope. Tell, tell, tell. I don't care. If I don't feel it, those characters could drink themselves to death and I wouldn't bat an eye . . . oh wait . . .

Maybe it's just my age that's preventing me from liking this one. Or the sheer number of writing flaws have thoroughly detracted me from anything that might be worthwhile in the text. Either way, I didn't like it. This one easily blends in to all the other prep school crap that's out there. Except now it's tainting ancient Egypt's good name and for, apparently, no good reason because the connection is never made.

Alas, by the looks of the end, this isn't the last we'll see of this OMG-we-must-keep-this-secret-but-lets-give-ourselves-secret-tattoos-in-one-of-the-most-unsecret-places-on-our-bodies secret society but rest assured, I won't be reading it. Inconsistencies and technical fallacies irk me. Especially when I'm sick. Irk meter is that much higher. And the ending wasn't even good either. You almost expect it for everything that's happened. But because the author can't write a suspenseful sentence, you don't actually feel it so it all falls flat.

Oh yeah, your neck is one of the most PAINFUL places to get a tattoo. Anywhere where you have a concentration of nerve endings. Where your brain stem meets your spine? I'd say that's a pain hot spot. Just another fallacy that had me not believing anything the author wrote. For a 16 year old, they'd be crying. Just remember, a tattoo needle is as thick as a dime that moves up and down really quickly that punctures your skin over and over and over again in order to wedge the ink in there. And all this being done mere millimeters from your brain stem. Hello???

And this is an ankh tattoo people--


While the circle didn't hurt at all, the butterfly body was some of the most god awful pain I've ever felt in my life. I'll be going back to get my fifth sometime in early spring. And this is on my left hip bleeding onto the top of my leg. The circled ankh is 8 years old and the body is 5. I heart tattoos.



Contest Time!

Want my ARC? Just leave a comment with your email answering this question -

Do you have any tattoos? If so, what are they of? If not, would you get one and what of?

No answer, no entry. Period.

+3 for following
+3 for linking

This is open to US residents only and the contest will end October 30th at midnight, EST. Good luck!

50 comments:

Dani. said...

Well as I am underage, I currently do not have a tattoo. I am inwardly debating whether or not to get a molnija mark* though. Do you know how kick-butt that would be? :)

+3: Follower!

Dani.
lightningstreak123@comcast.net

*Vampire Academy Reference

nadine said...

I do not have a tattoo and i don't think I would ever get one cause of like when I get old I'd probably regret it or it'd look weird.

i'm a follower

stellargurl93[AT]aim[DOT]com
thanks for the chance

Steph Su said...

lol don't enter me for this because those are pretty much my thoughts about this book as well. xD No wonder I'm having so much trouble writing my review for this..

AnAddictedBookReader said...

I don't have a tattoo but I really want one. I don't know what or where. I really like yours! Thanks : )
+3 for following
Adrienne
adrienne2093 at comcast dot net

Liz said...

Well im also underaged and I probably wont get one because my parents will kill me
+3 Im a follower :)
+3 I linked it at lizdoglover.blogspot.com
-Liz

liztapioka14[at]yahoo[dot]com

Sunshine Edition said...

I have always debated getting a tattoo when im older! Right now my mom puts it "if you get one we will not fund you for college and you will not live under our roof" But i have always secretly wanted a hawiian flower! But im too scared so i would never get one!

I would love to win your copy!
Rachel
Sunshineedition132@yahoo.com

+3 linked to my sidebar!

Thanks

Donna (Bites) said...

Hey, I was only 16 when I got my first tattoo so being underage means nothing! LOL!

And Steph, yeah, not thrilled with this one.

D Swizzle said...

I'm already a follower!

Um...I'd get the Gonzo symbol. You know, Hunter S. Thompson? He's, like, my hero :)

Natalie said...

+3 Follower!

I've thought about getting a tattoo, but my problem is I tend to be too indecisive. Knowing my luck, I would love it when I got it, and hate it a week later. Love yours though! It's beautiful!

Natalie @ Mindful Musings

Anonymous said...

Got my first tattoo at 16. My 2nd one at 17. And one more at 18. Two are frogs and I have a tribal anklet.

+3 following
+3 sidebar link


thebookvixen [at] gmail [dot] com

throuthehaze said...

My entire right foot is covered with a Phoenix tattoo.

+3 follower

throuthehaze at gmail dot com

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I follow!

Love the tattoo! :) I want an ankh tattoo too! I actually thought about getting it on my neck but I'm not sure though. There or my inner wrist.

Cindy said...

Too bad you didn't like it much, but I think it'll be interesting to read.

I don't have any tattoos, but I really want quite a few. One tattoo I want is a Chinese character on my inner wrists. The word is actually two characters so I want one on each wrist, so that when I place my hands together it forms the word.

+3 Follower

donnas said...

I do not have a tattoo. I have thought about it. But unless its something I really want and I am absolutely positive about what and where it is I wont do it. And since that hasnt happened yet, who knows.

I am a follower.

Linked on sidebar here: http://donnasbloghome.blogspot.com/

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Brooke Reviews said...

That's a really pretty tattoo! I love it. I have two tattoos. I don't like either, and I got one when I was 15 the other when I turned 18. 15 = tribal on lower back 18 = Japanese symbol for "to give love" that is too small.

:) My advice: Wait till you are of age and really think about what you want! :P

+3 follower
bacarleton(at)gmail(dot)com

Kristi said...

You have made me curious about this book from your review - makes me want to know what I would think about it. I have no tatoos - nor will I ever get one - tried to talk my ex-husband out of getting one...(his new wife hates it too) of course it says "I Love Kristi" heheh

I follow!

kherbrand at comcast dot net

Sara said...

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo... my friends and I are kind of itching to get one. If I get one it will be a quote from a book. Like those Twilight ones. Totally kidding!! Oh my gosh, not gonna happen. But it really will be a quote, I just haven't found the perfect one yet. I'm thinking a line from a poem would be perfect. Finding the place for it is difficult though... one of my friends has one on her foot and it is really cute, but it is really painful too...
Sorry for the rambling! :)

+3 follower
+3 linked to sidebar @ http://thehidingspot.blogspot.com

Thanks,
grochowskis@hotmail.com

Emily said...

I like your tattoo!
I have a couple: A pentagram on my foot, a little 'a' with a heart around it on my shoulder and a set of 4 symbols on my lower back (for earth, air, fire and water)
Aren't they addicting!?
I'm also a follower.
Thanks!
WilowRaven[at]yahoo[dot]com

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I will never get a tattoo-I am freaked out by needles but I'm not sure that I would want one anyway. This topic is kinda funny to me as I just watched a Friends episode where Rachel got a tattoo but I don't think it's ever referenced again.

+3 Follower

stephaniefleischer889 [at] gmail [dot] com

holdenj said...

No tattoo and no plans to ever get one.

Thanks for a good review. I'd still like to read it.
JHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com

Jenna said...

I don't have any tattoos yet (I'm 16), and I'm not sure if I ever will get one. If I did it would have to be something that really meant something to me. I might get one of my initals (JRW) because that's what everyone in my extended family calls me.

+3 I'm already a follower. :D

Thanks for the contest!

jennapomme[at]yahoo[dot]com

DeNiSe said...

If I could get a Tattoo I think It would be a design going around my ankle maybe a patter
+3 for already following
+3 for linking http://denisemadness.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the contest
Denise

denisemadness(at)yahoo(dot)com

Jax said...

I have a tatoo on my right shoulder blade that is of a shamrock..
Sign me up to win Secret Society

jomullane@bluemarble.net
+1 follower

Chelsea S said...

I don't have any tatoos and I don't think I'll ever get one. People just don't understand the full medical side effects of tatoos yet and I don't want to take the chance.

saulpaugh.chelsea(at)gmail(dot)com

-- Chelsea

Chelsea S said...

Im a follower. (1)

saulpaugh.chelsea(at)gmail(dot)com

-- Chelsea

Chelsea S said...

Im a follower. (2)

saulpaugh.chelsea(at)gmail(dot)com

-- Chelsea

Chelsea S said...

Im a follower. (3)

saulpaugh.chelsea(at)gmail(dot)com

-- Chelsea

Jordan Perryman said...

I do not have any tattoos at this point. I would like to eventually get one, but I want to put a lot of thought into it first. I dont want to get something that I am gonna regret later down the road.

+3 for following
+3 sidebar
http://insidethemindjm.blogspot.com
+3 post

Jordan Perryman said...

Sorry this is the link for my post.

http://insidethemindjm.blogspot.com/2009/10/blogosphere.html

jmoose09@gmail.com

Andrea said...

I don't have a tatto and honestly, I don't want one....but if I had to pick an answer, I'd either get something girl like a heart or flower, or a gator head (the main image of the University of Florida Gators)
+3 I follow you
+3 And I blogged about the contest here.


belle2211(at)yahoo(dot)com

Cynthia said...

+3 for following

I would not get any tattoos but if I were I would get a jayhawk

cindysku07@aol.com

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I linked to this on my sidebar and Twitter

I also forgot to mention that I do have one tattoo! It's a Celtic Tree of Life on my right inner forearm.

See pic on my blog post about it.

Briana said...

Well I dont have any tattoos, but if I were to get one it would be of a Red Dragonfly. My grandmother died when I was younger and loved Red Dragonflies because they were very rare and her favorite color was red. So now whenever I do see that rare red dragonfly, I think of her. And I would love to have a tattoo that was of a red dragonfly so I can see her everyday.

+3 - following
+3 - linking (sidebar) http://bambookreviews.blogspot.com/

-Arielle
achoyce13[at]gmail[dot]com

Froggy said...

Do you have any tattoos? If so, what are they of? If not, would you get one and what of?
no, but I would get a small frog by my ankle or shoulder

+3 for following
+3 for linking

Froggy
froggarita@gmail.com
http://froggaritavillesbookcase.blogspot.com
A Blog with Bite!
http://blogwithbitereviews.blogspot.com

Tena said...

I currently have two tattoo's they are my oldest sons name and my middle sons name. I need to go for two more, my youngest sons name and an angel for the baby I lost last month!

+3 follower

great giveaway, thanks so much

tenasocal@aol.com

kalynnick said...

No, I don't have nay tattoos.

kalynnick AT yahoo DOT com

Debbie F said...

I have no tattoos but always wanted one. Just too afraid of pain! Thanks
dcf_beth at verizon dot net

Llehn said...

No, I don't have a tattoo and I don't think I will ever get one.

+3 Following

lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

TheOutspokenYam said...

half_blue_sky@yahoo.com

Angel wings on my back

+3 follower

Book Sake said...

highvoltagegrrl at yahoo dot com

I have 2 symbols meaning Heavensent and Death on my back, a rune symbol of Pisces on my ankle, and a vine of thorns around one side from my belly button around my hip to my back. I heart tatts as well, wanting more, just keeping them where everyone can't see them.

Andrea [Buried In Books] said...

I have two tattoos, 1 a very colorful butterfly, and the second is a black celtic design with a orange & yellow sun & little blue moons

+3 follower
+3 sidebar: http://ireadd.blogspot.com

andrearobbins10@yahoo.com
thanks!!

Jaime said...

No tattoos, I'm too much of a chicken. Always thought I would get a small one on my ankle, but chicken out every time. I don't do pain.
copperllama at yahoo dot com

+3 Following

Anonymous said...

I do not have any tatoos but if I would, I would probably want a little star or a heart on my wrist.

YA Book Queen said...

No tattoo's, I have a needle phobia. I would maybe get a unique design, like egyptian hieroglyphs would be cool
+3 follower
+3 link sidebar
http://yabookqueen.blogspot.com

yabookqueen@yahoo.com

Misty said...

Great contest would love to read this book.
I have an anclet tatoo with a butterfly and my 3 boys names circling my ancle....Love it

misty_labean@yahoo.com

Nancye said...

I have 2 tattoos, one on each ankle. One is the Chinese symbol for Family and the other is a Lady Bug. I love them and I have never regretted getting them!!

+3 Follower

nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

J. Lee said...

I cant get a tatto
but if i would (and not permanent) i would tatto I love you

trashmail819@gmail.com

+3 follower

M.A.D. said...

Mary D
zenrei57 (at) hotmail (dot) com

I love your tattoo!! If I were younger and not old & decrepit like some menapausal zombie I would love to have a tiny tattoo on the back of my neck. In fact, I kinda sketched the symbol I was thinking about getting years ago, it was some weird musical-geometric design I'd created myself, kinda kewl - but I never got around to getting it done :(

M.A.D. said...

Mary D
zenrei57 (at) hotmail (dot) com

+3 follower :)

Unknown said...

I have a butterfly on my left wrist, the Japanese symbol for love on my right wrist, a heart and tribal on my upper back, flowers on my lower back (tramp stamp) my husbands name on above the flowers and a sun/moon/star design on my stomach. I still have about 6 more that I want I just can't figure out where to put what.

+3 follower

jennsicurella at verizon dot net

Jennifer @ Reading with Tequila

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.