Monday, October 5, 2009

Adios Reading Rainbow

You know you all used to watch it. But damn, I didn't know the show was as old as I am! Reading Rainbow ended it's 26 year run at the end of August. Much chagrin here although I stopped watching it many moons ago (ok, last week, shut up).

And you know you loved LeVar Burton because he was that cool dude with the funky sunglasses on Star Trek -


I didn't know too many people that watched this show when I was younger but I loved it. I got so excited when it used to come on and I sang along to the theme song too! Yeah, huge dork! But I didn't care! Are there any shows about reading and books on now? I hope so because Reading Rainbow filled a void in programming and for a book geek like me, it was an awesome show.

This is the theme song I remembered (total HR Puffinstuff if I ever saw it) -



I get all sorts of nostalgic fuzzies when I hear it! And see it!

3 comments:

Debbie's World of Books said...

I was so bummed when I heard this. I loved Reading Rainbow growing up!

Maria D'Isidoro said...

Oh wow. Watching that video brought back memories. I LOVED reading rainbow when I was little. And, like you, I never knew anyone else who watched it. Reading Rainbow and Magic School Bus were my public programing crack as a child. Farewell LeVar Burton. I'll see you in Next Generation reruns.

Zombie Girrrl said...

Say it ain't so!!! I loved that show when I was little! That and Power Rangers. First generation Power Rangers. Man, I feel old. Did anyone else watch that? Remember how cool the Green Ranger was?!
Anyhoo, that song brought back a lotta memories. I didn't think I'd remember it, but once I heard the opening notes, it was like I was six YO sitting indian style in front of the tube again.
Funfact: I can rap the whole Fresh Prince theme song from memory! XD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.