Meet the creatures of the Cthulhu mythos. Denizens of the dark but brilliant imagination of HP Lovecraft. The collection of horror and fantasy he penned during his short lifetime is a legacy that has terrified and inspired generations of fans. Lovecraft's tales reveal the horror of seeing what has been hidden from humanity for good reason.
Written for those curious about Lovecraft and his work, this illustrated guide presents detailed descriptions of twenty-nine of the monsters, creatures, and gods that in habit Lovecraft's macabre fictional universe, without any spoilers that could ruin a future read of his stories. It also includes an introduction to the man regarded as the father of American horror. (book back blurb)
These next two I picked up for myself when I was shopping for my Halloween contest yesterday. I just couldn't resist!
They have walked among us for thousands of years. Stories on how to protect yourself or hunt down and destroy the undead have been passed down in hushed whispers throughout the centuries. But these were often old wives' tales, based more on superstition than fact. Now for the first time, here is a complete vampire-fighting guide for the twenty-first century.
- How to tell if someone you know if turning into a vampire.
- How to fortify your home in times of vampire uprisings.
- The best tactics and techniques for fighting off multiple vampires.
- How to use traps for vampires (and what to do when you catch one).
- How to deal with troublesome humans during periods of vampire attacks.
- And what to do in the most terrifying situation of all - when YOU have been bitten by a vampire.
In today's world of vampire-obsessed pop culture, misinformation abounds. A newly turned vampire who looks to movies and novels for answers to everlasting life's questions will inevitably be reduced to a smoldering pile of dust. So whom can you, a neophyte immortal, trust to provide reliable information and proven strategies for leading your best and bloodiest existence? The Vampire Miles Proctor, editor of The New Vampire's Handbook. In this definitive guide, the newly turned will find
- a head-to-toe look at your vampiric body: how to harness your new powers to dispatch mortal enemies, maintain your fangs, and embrace your vampirosexuality
- methods for luring prey, faking your way through meals, approaching other vampires, and creating a four-hundred-year financial plan
- tips on acting your "age," behaving appropriately if you see a human you knew decades ago, and dealing with epic vampire feuds
- essential advice for blending in with the masses, from finding a coven to avoiding the media (and mirrors) to staying on top of the latest fashion trends
- the joy of scrapbooking
Welcome to the night.