Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fright Fest + Catacombs


Another FEARnet find, Catacombs stars Shannyn Sossaman and Alecia "Pink" Moore. Set in Paris, a girl that's wound up rather tightly goes and visits her sister currently living in Paris who just wants to help her unwind a little. It's there the girl finds out about the catacombs under the city used to house millions of plague victims who just couldn't fit anywhere else. And what better way to use a mass grave than to have a rave? Of course!

While the lead-up is a little on the lame side, I really liked the premise and the overall execution of the plot. Very short on gore and heavy on dark corners and rustling shadows, Catacombs plays more to the psychology of horror, and what one person can do when pushed too far. Of course it's not the best horror movie in existence but the lack of gore certainly elevates it for me. It definitely tended to drag at parts while the girl was down in the tunnels, to the point of where it overplayed the tension and even counteracted it, but I still liked it far more than what I thought I would.

For an off beat horror movie, it's pretty good.

3 comments:

Marce said...

Same Producer of Saw, I will definitely give it a try. I bought all the Saws just this week to watch this weekend back to back. One of them was only $4.99.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

O to freaky for me.

Unknown said...

Oooh this look cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.