Sunday, September 13, 2009

Added to the Pile + 13

I took a trip to Borders yesterday with the express desire to buy one particular book with one of the nine million coupons I get from them a week. My, how useful they are! I also wanted to look and see if they have any Halloween stuff out yet. Not really. Neither does Barnes and Noble (the two are literally right across the street from each other so I went to both). So I'll have to wait another week or two for that stuff to come out. But I was able to get a second copy of The Devouring by Simon Holt. Why? Well, I'll that explanation for another day. :)

But I did stumble upon the bargain shelves while at Borders and I found some nice and cheap goodies there.

I didn't get this one necessarily because I wanted it but because I have the first and it would be nice to give away both on here at some point. And it was only $3.99 for a hardcover. Yay!

After staking out, obtaining, and then being forced to give up her boyfriend, Josh, all Cammie Morgan wants is a peaceful semester. But that's easier said than done when you're a CIA legacy and go to the premier school in the world . . . for spies.

Cammie may have a genius IQ but there are still a lot of things she doesn't know. Like, will her ex-boyfriend even remember she exists? And how much trouble is she rea
lly in after what happened last semester? And most of all, why is her mother acting so strangely?

Despite Cammie's best intentions to be a normal student, danger seems to follow her. She and her friends learn that their school is going to play host to some mysterious guests - code name: Blackthorne. Then she's blamed for a security breach that leaves the school's top secret status at risk.

Soon Cammie and her friends are crawling through walls and surveilling the school to learn the truth about Blackthorne and clear Cammie's name. Even though they have confidence in their spy skills, this time the targets are tougher (and hotter), and the stakes for Cammie's heart - and her beloved school - are higher than ever.


This one just sounded really freaking cool and for $2.99 for the hardcover, I really couldn't pass it up!

In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for the theme park "guides" find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls.

Using a cutting-edge technology called DHI - which stands for both Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging - Finn Whitman, an Orlando teen, and four other kids are transformed into hologram projections that guide guests through the park.

The new technology turns out, however, to have unexpected effects that are both thrilling and scary. Soon Finn finds himself transported in his DHI form into the Magic Kingdom at night. Is it real? Is he dreaming?


Finn's confusion only increases when he encounters Wayne, an elderly Imagineer who tells him that the park is in grave danger. Led by the scheming witch, Maleficent, a mysterious group of characters called the Overtakers is plotting to destroy Disney's beloved realm, and maybe more.


I did find something rather disturbing at Barnes and Noble. For a second I wished I could take a picture of it but didn't have my camera and then, duh! Camera phone! Hey, it's still new for me. The only thing is, I didn't save it. Dammit! But what it was was the test prep table with all of those SAT, GMAT, LSAT and everything else guides for those standardized tests. What was on there with them? Defining Twilight. It was so wrong it hurt. That's a one way street to SAT FAIL right there.

And another thing? BN had a table labeled "vampire romance." How misleading. You know, there is other vampire romance out there besides Twilight, people! I mean, it was sick. A whole table with nothing but Twilight and its whore crap. Chocolate Edward, bookmarks, hats, dolls and whatever else they could suck out of the franchise to make. Revolted would be a good word for it. Blech.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I love the Gallagher Girls books...

I do the same thing, pick up good, cheap books for contests... Sometimes I can't bear to part with my ARCs, but I love having contests. Its a win-win!

Ellz said...

I just love cheap reads, great finds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.