Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Updates

Yeah, I know I said I'd post my first Shitty YA Boy Toys post today but I just spent the last couple hours swapping out buttons from the original post.  Considering all of the suing going around I'd rather be safe than sorry and since I'm going to be using those things regularly I wanted to make sure they were acquired properly.  Hooray for stock image sites!  Take a look at the new buttons.  Not as snazzy as the originals but they'll do and keep my ass from a sling.  Hopefully.

Dietrich - Twitter
In other awesomer news Savannah Dietrich, the 17-year-old rape victim that was facing charges of contempt for naming her attackers, has been absolved.  Her attackers' lawyers withdrew the charge after it went viral.  Apparently it had nothing to do with with public opinion -
David Mejia, an attorney for one of the boys, said the decision to withdraw the motion had nothing to do with public sentiment and online attention to the case.

He said the purpose of the motion had been to enforce the law that protects juveniles and their actions from disclosure. 
"The horse is out of the barn," he said. "Nothing is bringing it back." (source)
I think Mr. Lawyer missed the point.  Rapists are rapists regardless of age and don't deserve to hide behind the anonymity of age and juvenile court.  Those worthless fucks exposed all of Savannah to the entire world and they should be awarded the benefit of protection?  I sometimes wonder how defense attorneys sleep at night.

So yes.  Savannah doesn't face jail time because she refused to keep quiet about her assault.  Yes, it's a victory regardless of the fact that the reasoning is all wrong and the point is missed entirely.  Baby steps, I guess.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.