Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Clearing by Heather Davis


Published April 12, 2010.

Amy is drawn to the misty, mysterious clearing behind her Aunt Mae’s place because it looks like the perfect place to hide from life. A place to block out the pain of her last relationship, to avoid the kids in her new town, to stop dwelling on what her future holds after high school. Then, she meets a boy lurking in the mist—Henry. Henry is different from any other guy Amy has ever known. And after several meetings in the clearing, she’s starting to fall for him. But Amy is stunned when she finds out just how different Henry really is. Because on his side of the clearing, it’s still 1944. By some miracle, Henry and his family are stuck in the past, staving off the tragedy that will strike them in the future. Amy’s crossing over to Henry’s side brings him more happiness than he’s ever known—but her presence also threatens to destroy his safe existence. (from netgalley.com)

I'm a little late to the game getting to this one but better late than never, without a doubt. Oh. My. God. What a great book.

Amy is standoffish, not trusting of anyone and rightly so. But because of this attitude she adopts in order to protect herself, she doesn't let anyone in and she doesn't let them know why. Until Henry. Henry allows her to open up. He doesn't put on a show. He doesn't make her promises. He's as come-as-you-are as you can get and Amy is wholly attracted to that.

I'm not a romance person by any means. I like the characters I read to suffer, as sadistic as that is. I want them to earn the love they're seeking. I don't want it to be easy. And man did Amy earn Henry's love. I don't mean by being a performing chimp at an organ grinder for him. She just went through crap and a half before getting to him and it's about damn time she found someone to love that loves her back just for being her. Her ex is a dick. Her former friends are dicks. She's earned Henry and everything he has to offer. And he has so much to offer her, so much he can provide for her and ultimately he gives it to her. He just can't give himself to her and that, my friends, had me in tears.

I felt for what Amy went through, her character was totally believable. And when she stood up to her ex, when she told him to FOAD that final time, I was cheering for her. Yes! A protagonist that stands up to the dick! That won't let him push her around or hurt her anymore! While she went into a push and pull with Henry, she ultimately accepts what he is to her and, in the end, that's okay. It has to be. It's not like she has a choice.

I just can't say enough wonderful things about this story without sounding like some drooling fangirl. It's a love story that'll have you screaming at the end of it because it's a happily ever after but not in the way you think it's going to be. The past has finally been righted and that's all the happy there needs to be, for everyone.

I couldn't help but wonder why no one had gone through the mist before. I know it has some physical effects on whoever walks into it so maybe that would be enough of a deterrent. Plus there were some haunting stories surrounding the property, so add those two elements together and it might be enough to keep the superstitious at bay. But it still made me wonder.

At the end of the day, Amy's a strong character that deserves everything she gets in this story. Davis isn't afraid to try her even more than she's already been tried, but she just ends up coming out the other end even stronger than when she went in. Amy learns not everyone she meets is a total douche. Real, genuine love is possible. It's okay to be happy. But I warn you all, you may cry at the end. And damn it all if I wasn't at work reading this. Thankfully I was able to keep my head down long enough to dry my mascara.

5 comments:

Adriana said...

Aw, Henry! The way his story ended definitely left me in tears. I'm also not much of a romance person, but the way Amy and Henry's relationship developed and the circumstances was so touching and heartbreaking. Great review, Donna!

Unknown said...

Great review!

I absolutely LOVE this book! One of my top 5's for 2010!

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Oooh wonderful review, Donna! The Clearing sounds like an awesome read.

I don't like too much suffering for the MC; I must lack that sadistic gene LOL

Cindy said...

This sounds realy great, I loved your review :)

Lenore Appelhans said...

Thanks for reminding me of this one. I really loved it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.