Friday, April 3, 2009

Freaky Friday :|: 5

Title: More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Author: Alvin Schwartz
Published: October 1984
Pages: 112
Publisher: HarperCollins
Summary:

(www.bn.com) All those who enjoyed shuddering their way through Alvin Schwartz's first volume of Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark will find a satisfyingly spooky sequel in this new collection of the macabre, the funny, and the fantastic.

Is it possible to die -- and not know it? What if a person is buried too soon? What happens to a thief foolish enough to rob a corpse, or to a murderer whose victim returns from the grave? Read about these terrifying predicaments as well as what happens when practical jokes produce gruesome consequences and initiations go awry.

Stephen Gammell's splendidly creepy drawings perfectly capture the mood of more than two dozen scary stories -- and even a scary song -- all just right for reading alone or for telling aloud in the dark.

If You Dare!
Editorial Review:

Brief, bloodcurdling tales of ghosts, murders, graveyards, and other horrors, greatly enhanced by the ghoulish illustrations. - Horn Book

Ok, seriously, go Google some of the images from this book and tell me you're not going to be seeing those things on the inside of your eyelids tonight. It's sadism at its best, people. Or masochism, depending on which side you stand on.

And it's not too often you find the sequel published before the first installment. Narnia was like that. It could be a BN flub. I have no idea and, honestly, I'm too tired to check right now so I'll just leave it be. If someone else wants to correct it, be my guest.

3 comments:

susan said...

We have this one or the first installment in our library. I can't remember. I do know that girls are real sloooooooow returning it. Thanks.

Donna (Bites) said...

I don't blame them, Susan! LOL!

Sadako said...

I LOVE this book! And you're right about those pics. I rebought these as an adult, and they still skeeve me. Especially that woman with no eyes. And that weird Mexian pet picture. And Harold, and...ugh, they're all freaky. But I love 'em.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.