Saturday, September 8, 2012

Oh hey!


I'm finally here, on the other side of the country, in a different time zone, in a different climate and hopefully in a different car soon enough.  The drive took us four and a half rather long days and crossing a few states that could right be interchanged with each other, a few that smell like cow farts and one that made me briefly consider vegetarianism.  

We stayed in some rather Sam and Deanish motels (that even the brothers might want to keep driving by, in all honesty, I know I did) -

St. Claire, MO.

Shamrock, TX, a sad town depopulated after Route 66 was re-routed.

Gallup, NM - I'd recommend avoiding altogether. Not a sad Route 66 town like Shamrock but a horrifying one filled with gangs.  Not fun.

Ate some incredible food -

The Big Gibby in MO.

And saw more of the country than most Americans will ever see.  Now I'm spitting distance from one of my favorite vacation destinations, I may get to see a Disney spot in my lifetime and I'll never have to scrape ice off of my car again.  Although in the four days we've been here I'm pretty sure we've seen all the weather Arizona can possibly have to offer (sudden and torrential downpours, extreme heat, a day of rain and humidity and a sand storm).  I left the humidity shit in Connecticut.  At least I thought I did.

I want to say it was "so hot" when we had to unload the truck but 105 is relatively normal for this time of year here.  Except that didn't make unloading the truck any better.

The truck at pick-up in CT.

Twenty-six feet plus a ten foot trailer on the back.  We had five people helping us load it and only the two of us to unload it on this end.  Unloading it made me throw up.  Literally.  I got heat exhaustion and spent a small chunk of time with my head in the toilet.  After that I stayed inside and organized, making sure we could fit boxes in while Soldier Boy unloaded.  I felt utterly useless because I couldn't handle the truck but at least I was doing something.  By that time it was mostly just unloading boxes (we'd gotten most of the large stuff off by then) and we had a hand truck for that to it make it easier.  Somewhat.  He wasn't thrilled having to do that by himself but he didn't hold it against me.  It was a trade.  He did that and I packed in the spare bedroom (this is a temporary place and we plan on moving again in a couple months with the help of Mayflower, fuck doing it ourselves to save money) and unpacked the boxes we needed.  Fair enough although I still felt useless while he was sweating and heaving in the heat.  According to him the couple tours in Afghanistan and CrossFit helped him out in that regard.  I'll take it.

I'm still a bit discombobulated and don't have a schedule yet although I will be starting my new job on the 17th.  So give me a little more time to get my shit together and I'll be back to this program regularly soon enough.  At the moment I'm just trying to get a new car.  The notion of having to drive my car, without air conditioning, in Arizona right now is just appalling.  I need a new one ASAP.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.