Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Not In My School (15)


Not In My School is a weekly feature that throws out one YA lit cliche a week to compare to my own high school days. Because we all know how accurate those fictional nuances are . . .

Diaol
The skinny chick that wants to gain weight

I've seen this among guys, especially since guys usually want to bulk up but chicks?  Yeah . . .  As having once been an adolescent female that actually had hips that these characters supposedly vie for, I can assure you I wanted nothing more than for them to go away, especially since I was (and still am) pretty much titless.  Having half an hour glass figure kind of sucks.  Have I come terms with it now?  Oh yes.  I'm fine with it.  I WOULD NOT COMPLAIN if my boobs decided that wanted a belated growth spurt but I'm not about to go out and cosmetically alter myself.

But chicks in high school, last I checked, we ALL wanted to look like this.  We all wanted to be that size two that looked a bit like a twig in a dress.  Of course we all wanted boobs.  But on this body.  Screw hips.  Hips made you fat.  So when I read books about girls that think they're "too skinny" and want to get heavier I can't help but roll my eyes.  I know of ONE girl that genuinely wanted to gain weight because she thought she was too skinny.  And she still is too skinny (and by skinny I mean her doctors accuse her of having an eating disorder) but the girl can clean out a McDonald's and not gain weight.  Some people are like that and I'm sure it can be frustrating.  As it stands I don't know that pain.  I eat a marshmallow and it goes right to my ass.

It just seems to contract the media standard and the gripes people have with teen magazines and skinny models and whatnot.  It's the antithesis of how it was in my school days.  Have the tides finally started to change and younger girls realize that curves really are okay?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.