Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Liability and Book Blogging - The End Game


It would help to read the beginning and the middle before you try to comprehend the end.

I'm not pretending to be an expert. I don't even write media liability policies. I'm only trying to help spread some information that might not be out there or might just be overlooked. It can't hurt, right?

I'm not trying to urge you to do something you don't want to do. I don't have a secret agenda and am really funded by a big name carrier. I'm just trying to open your eyes.

Us opening our mouths and opining about books the way we do can slip our asses right into a sling. And it's not about proof. It never was. In this heinous litigious society we live in anyone can be sued for anything at any time. It's all about those defense costs. WTF will not keep you out of court. Nor will just turning off your computer. So it's better to have some information to go by than nothing at all.

So go and buy a media policy, or form a mutual or do nothing at all. It's entirely up to you. You have some more information and now the onus is on you to act on it. Or not. I'd like to think all sunshine and farts about how nothing will come of our liability exposures. That we will remain in the shadows and no one will really pay us much mind. But I know, deep in my recesses somewhere, that that's not the truth. We are exposed and a lawyer's sting can hurt.

When you're doing your blogging thing just remember how far your words travel and what they have the power to do. That's all I'm asking. It goes far beyond owning what we say and not hiding from it. Just be aware. Crazy can make people do some, well, crazy things.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.