Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The CW Has Fangs

Publisher's Weekly is reporting that the CW Network (which hosts shows like Supernatural and, um, Supernatural) has picked up a pilot that's based on LJ Smith's The Vampire Diaries series. Kevin Williamson (think Dawson's Creek) will write the screenplay and be an executive producer on the series.

Now I know these are actually pretty old (in the publishing world, anyway) books that have been recently re-released (due to the Twilight insanity, I'm sure). I vaguely remember seeing these around when I was younger but I've never read them. I have heard people say pretty good things about the books but I'm not too sure about the premise myself.

Anyone that has read them, what do you think? Think this'll fly as a series?

5 comments:

prophecygirl said...

I haven't read them either, though I've wanted to for years. I'm excited about the series, I love vampire/supernatural shows. I think it could do well, especially if it has some Dawson's-style drama.

Saying that, you never know with shows these days. I mean, Moonlight was a quality vampire show that got cancelled after sixteen episodes. The only difference there was that it wasn't aimed at teens.

True Blood, based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries books, has been doing really well, and with all the Twilight hype, I think now is a good time for vampire shows. Hmmm, we'll see how it does!

Steph Su said...

I don't watch TV, so I probably won't be tuning in, although the Vampire Diaries series is definitely on my TBR list. A quick browse through them and they look pretty good! I can't wait to read them.

Anonymous said...

I hate media bandwagons. You end up with more of the same. Not that this might be a bad series, but I can't say it interests me.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it will make a good tv series but I love the novels.

Donna (Bites) said...

If they don't go by the way of every other teen drama like Gossip Girl, I think it could be really good but TV people have a tendency of playing to the trends which isn't always the best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.