Tuesday, March 29, 2011

BEA Tips 2011

I've been waffling around on the notion of going to BEA. Do I want to go? Of course! I love interacting with all my fellow book bloggers, industry people and let's not forget all those glorious books! But let's be honest: I need more books like I need my arm ripped off and fed through a wood chipper. Sure, I could not grab any, or maybe just a couple. And an alcoholic can remain on the wagon whilst swimming in a beer vat.

Ultimately, I won't be attending this year. My waffling was silenced when a wedding came up at the same time so don't have too much fun without me! But that's not to say I won't offer up my help like I did last year. If you were running around last year trying to figure out which end was up about BEA, then you might remember my tips post where I laid out some ground guidelines and then answered questions anyone may have had. It ended up working out really well so I'm up for doing it again this year. I'll keep this a running post until BEA week so you have plenty of time to get those questions in. If you've been to BEAs past and have something to add, by all means feel free and I'll add your credited information to the list.

I'll try to answer any questions once a week in new posts and then just add them to this post as a collective. Make it nice and simple for easy access. Dig?

First a couple of addendums to last year's post -

PRESS PASSES

I have no idea how this is working this year. Because I didn't register, I just can't comment on it. BEA created a whole new section for book bloggers as non-editorial media and they charge for that. In years prior we always registered under press and got in for free. I've heard very adamant arguments on both sides that each is right. So I have no idea. If someone knows for sure which way to register, please let me know.

DRESS CODE

Really, you want to aim for business casual. This is a business convention so you don't want to look like a slob but a suit isn't necessary either. While you won't get hanged for wearing jeans, if you can, opt for a comfortable pair of khakis. And be sure your shoes are comfortable. Last year I wore a fitted shirt, black and white stripped Bermudas and thick-soled flip-flops.

SIGNINGS

Utilize the donation box when you can. I think the recommended donation is $1 a book. Considering all that you're getting, it won't hurt. Just don't forget they're there.

BUSINESS CARDS

Invest in them and plan on using them. What easier way to exchange information with a publisher contact or fellow book blogger?

Now, what questions can I answer for you? I'll answer BEA questions to the best of my ability and if you have any questions about New York City in general, I can help you out. I used to live there and I go back in a couple times a year so I'm pretty familiar with a few places on that island. So let's get cracking!

Helpful Links -

2010 BEA Tips for BEA Newbies (be sure to read this post first, my original from last year)
La Femme Readers/Red House Books' All You Need to Know About BEA and More!
If anyone else does a BEA post like this, just let me know and I'll add their link here.


5 comments:

I ♥ Book Gossip said...

Hi Donna!
Hope all is well! I didn't realize we had to pay this year as non editorial press? Would you happen to know how much it is?

-I Heart Book Gossip

Emily said...

Loved your posts last year - they helped a lot! Thanks for doing it again.

I've also heard a lot of back and forth about bloggers having to pay this year and I can tell you that I am attending this year, I have registered as a blogger and no, I did not pay. I used the "Press Registration" link you have above and was emailed my badge and since I did it mid January and haven't heard back from them that I was denied - I'm good to go.

The only difference this year with the online registration was a new little section that actually had a drop down menu or something that let me say specifically that I was a blogger AND the added section giving me the option to register (and pay) for the Book Bloggers Convention.

Hope that (maybe) helps some!

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Very helpful. I went last year and was a bit overwhelmed. I am going to check our your tips post.

Thanks!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Boy-howdy, I wish I could go! Unfortunately, it's in the middle of finals and end of the year crap at school so it's just not possible. I'll just have to live vicariously through tweets and posts.

But thanks for the input - I'll keep it in mind IF I ever get to go! Have fun at your wedding. :)

Angela's Anxious Life said...

Wow! Thanks so much for posting so many details! I have been seeing this on several blogs and never knew the exact details about what was happening!


Angie
New Follower here and I will keep a close eye on your blog for all the BEA Armchair details!
http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.