Sunday, August 9, 2009

Added to the Pile + 10

Well, I finally got my copies of The Devouring and Hunger Games that I ordered back in June. I'm thinking Barnes and Noble had a brain fart because the last time I ordered a book already out and pre-ordered one at the same time, they shipped the already released book immediately and I had to wait for the other one. This time around they held them all until Thirst was released on the 4th of this month. Awesome.

But I did get my copy of Thirst, the first three books in The Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike. Yay! Thing is, that yay was short-lived. It's just not the same under the new cover. So what did I do? I bought the originals from half.com. :) Those should be coming soon. I'll be saving this one for something special in October.

Alisa has been in control of her urges for the five thousand years she has been a vampire. She feeds but does not kill, and she lives her life on the fringe to maintain her secret. But when her creator returns to hunt her, she must break her own rules in order to survive.

Her quest leads her to Ray. He is the only person who can help her; he also has eve
ry reason to fear her. Alisa must get closer to him to ensure her immortality. But as she begins to fall in love with Ray, suddenly there is more at stake than her own life . . . (book back blurb)

And because I was on a nostalgia kick, I went to my local used bookstore yesterday and scoured their racks looking for old school YA horror. And found some! I also thought of Shalonda because there was a bunch of Sweet Valley High in the shelves too.

Yeah, this is the original Huntress book from LJ Smith. While the cover looks like the love children of the Cabbage Patch Kids and Barbie and Ken, the words are still the same.

Jez Redfern is unique. She's a vampire hunter . . . who's half vampire. Raised in the Redfern family, the girl with fiery hair and silver-blue eyes was the undisputed leader of a gang of vampire raiders. Then came the discovery that shattered her life--her mother was a human. Now, Jez hunts her former friends, protecting humans from the Night World.

But when C
ircle Daybreak sends her on a search for one of the legendary Wild Powers, Jez has to rejoin her old gang. They want her back--especially Morgead, the gorgeous green-eyed vampire who used to be her second-in-command. Jez wants to stay faithful to Hugh Davis, the human she loves. But Morgead swears he's her soulmate and he'll do anything to lure her back to the old ways. With danger and temptation all around, Jez finds herself irresistibly drawn to him. And she's afraid that if she tastes blood again, she'll become the evil huntress she once was . . . (book back blurb)

Can I tell you how much I love those shoes on the cover? Heehee.

Caught in a violent storm, Lisa and her three friends take refuge in a deserted old house. Inside are strewn odd tricks and gadgets--the props of a practiced magician. Doors slam. The phones go dead. A ghostly hand creeps across the mantel. But the group's fascination with these effects quickly turn to horror.

Lisa has always dreamed of being a magician. Now her life--and the lives of her friends--depends on her skill. Because one by one the tricks are becoming more sinister, luring the group closer and closer to the terrible secret at the end of the corridor . . . (book back blurb)

You really can't go wrong with RL Stine.

From the minute Jenny accepts the Hagen baby-sitting job, she knows she's made a deadly mistake.

The house is too dark.

The neighbors are too suspicious.

And a killer is getting close.

Very close.
(back book blurb)

9 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Scary books about babysitting were so NOT my thing - until I stopped babysitting.

Lizzy said...

Scary books are so fun. Lately I've been reading them, and I realized how much I really dislike Zombies! Happy reading

Shalonda said...

How cool that you thought of me? I feel so special!

I love R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike. My students snatch the Fear Street books off the shelves the first week of school. Glad to see they are still loved!

The Hunger Games! You're gonna love it! But what the heck was up with the B&N delay?

Unknown said...

Ooh Thirst looks so good. Nice week.

Lauren said...

You've given me a total nostalgia trip too. R.L. Stine and Sweet Valley High books used to be my dangerous addictions.

I was pretty disturbed to read the first chapter of the rereleased / updated SVH series recently though. They shrunk the main characters! What is that about?!

I'm *so* going to hunt down some secondhand R.L. Stine books this week. :)

Katie said...

"Thirst" looks super good. Barnes & Noble just did that with my recent purchase. I wonder if it's been a policy change. Frustrating though.

I'm glad that out-of-print vampire books are being reprinted, but these omnibus editions are a pain to read.

But you have the old covers, lucky.

Happy reading!

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week. Huntress is really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Donna (Bites) said...

Yay for good YA horror! I really hope the market switches back to this kind of YA horror. Or at least makes room for it to come back. All this academy and sparkly vampires and lustrance is really starting to get grating.

Marie said...

I wish they still had the old UK covers of Night World over here. These new Night World volumes remind me way too much of Twilight. In Waterstones they've put up a whole bookshelf of 'if you love Twilight...' and all these vampire books have the same appearance: all black.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.